Perform IMAP to PST Migration – 4 Types of Conversion Methods
What’s it really like to Export emails from IMAP to PST File.
You might be using either Exchange, Office 365 or IMAP account if you are using email for business or work. User would typically want to localize the message files (in addition to storing them on the server) by migrating all the data items to a .pst file which you can later retrieve and use when needed.
In certain cases, this IMAP to PST Migration migration is beneficial for a customer such as:
- Shift email to another email account from one email account
- You switch from old system to New computer
- You want to have regular backups
- Restoring your data in case of any failures
Ways to Migrate your IMAP data to PST :
Sync your IMAP Account into Outlook
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is the basic protocol for viewing & accessing all the emails & communications used by email users. All you need to do is connect to the Internet. Most e-mail clients instantly sync their standard server files & directories, including Inbox, Drafts, Sent Object, etc. Follow the next section to directly sync & export all IMAP files & directories to MS Outlook program.
- Tap on File > Info > then click on Add Account icon.
- It launches the Outlook wizard to setup New Account
- Enter your account’s email address.
- You can also choose to manually set up your account, to perform this press Advanced Options> Let me setup my account manually, then Click on Connect button.
- Select the IMAP-type account.
- The IMAP Account Settings dialog will open.
- Here enter your email address for your domain, here we are taking an example for Outlook.com Account
- Incase you do not know your IMAP server settings for IMAP to PST Migration: Visit here
IMAP Server : imap-mail.outlook.com
IMAP Port : 993
Outgoing Server : smtp-mail.outlook.com
Server Port: 587
- Finally, click on Connect . Then a screen will appear showing that you have setup your account successfully.
Using Import Export Tool to Export IMAP Mailbox to PST
You can easily use the Outlook Import Export Feature & Save Files in PST File if you have set up any IMAP support account in MS Outlook:
- Select File at the top of the MS Outlook window.
- Choose Open and Export > Import/Export Icon for importing & exporting IMAP email to PST
- After this an Import & Export Wizard appears on the screen. Here Choose option :Export to a File > Next button.
- Now Pick option Outlook Data File (.pst) > Then , click Next.
- Now Choose the folder to export from IMAP Account that you have already configured. Remember to
- Check on “include sub-folders ” for exporting all the sub-directories from IMAP Account into PST File.
- Now Browse the location to save the PST File on your computer & You can remove or include duplicates by choosing from multiple options provided .
- Finally Click on Finish .
- Then a pop up to Create Outlook data file comes with option to add Password . Here you can add password if you wish to secure your PST file with password protection. & click on Ok button.
Note : Please keep in mind that you will have to enter the same password the next time you open this PST file.
Forwarding your E-mail from IMAP Account to Outlook
You can easily forward these messages to a new email address if you don’t have many messages. To do so, pick the email message and select the forward button & email it to a separate email address.
Make sure your emails are installed and opened on the MS Outlook account. The Import Export Method can then be used to simply Export them into PST format.
Using Tool to Convert IMAP to PST File
Are your unaware , which IMAP server your organization is using ?
Often, it might get tricky to convert your data from any unknown IMAP server . In such cases , IMAP Converter Tool can be extremely useful. It automatically detect the IMAP server information & convert your IMAP emails into Outlook PST Files .
Follow the given below steps to Convert IMAP emails into Outlook PST Files :
- Run & Launch IMAP to PST Converter
- Go to Open > Choose Email Accounts & Pick Add Add Account.
- Enter Your Email Address , Password , Under Advanced Settings Click on find button to automatically detect your IMAP information . & Click on Add Button .
- The software will auto- load all the directories within your IMAP email account.
- The Click on Export button > Choose PST under Email files section.
- When you choose to Export to PST, the software offers following feature also :
Include Email Header
Create Individual PST for each Folder
- Finally, after the export is completed , open the PST file location .
- Now you can use import export process to import PST file into Outlook .
Gathering the Points
This blog covers the topic to migrate IMAP emails from any server to PST File. Here we have covered most prominent IMAP to PST Migration methods that a user can comfortably migrate all emails from IMAP Server into Outlook supported PST Files. Hope it helps you solve all your issues .